Friday, April 2, 2010

Antiwar Music



If the video doesn't load click here.

That is the band System of a Down with their Grammy winning song B.Y.O.B.( Bring Your Own Bombs). The song is about the Iraq War, although you may not be able to tell your first time hearing it. To make it easy on you, I decided to load the lyrics too on this link. The "party" that they keep referring to is the war.The song talks about how the government seems to endlessly spend tax payer money and American lives on a war that the group blames on former President Bush. System of a Down even goes far enough to hint at the government being fascist and in many ways similar to the Nazis. On the other hand they pity the usually low income volunteers who have fought in the war.

It was a strange song to me the first time I heard it. I played it on the musical video game Guitar Hero and had no idea that it had anything to do with Iraq. When I began telling a friend of mine about this song I came to find out about its meaning and was surprised. I still hated the song for a while until I took time to understand the lyrics and get used to the music. This song is deep to say the least, and the idea of modern America being fascist I still doubt. I think it's a bit extreme, as not all the soldiers are dirt poor like the song insinuates. Also, as much as Bush was the catalyst for the war it's not like he is the only one to blame for it. I dislike the way the song makes it seem as if the White house was hurling poor, brainwashed, innocent Americans into a bottomless pit along with our money for no reason whatsoever. As controversial as the war has been, it has served the purpose of eliminating a brutal regime and giving a nation a chance at democracy.

0 comments: